PESSTO spectroscopic classification of optical transients
ATel #4940; S. Hachinger (Univ. Wuerzburg), S. Taubenberger (MPA Garching), N. Elias-Rosa, A. Morales-Garoffolo (ICE-IEEC/CSIC Barcelona), M. Fraser (Queen's University Belfast), E. S. Walker, C. Baltay, N. Ellman, E. Hadjiyska, R. McKinnon, D. Rabinowitz (Yale University), U. Feindt, M. Kowalski (Universitat Bonn), P. Nugent (LBL Berkeley), S. Benetti, A. Pastorello, (INAF - Padova Astronomical Observatory), S. Valenti (LCOGT/UCSB), S. J. Smartt, K. Smith, D. Young (Queen's University Belfast), M. Sullivan (University of Southampton), A. Gal-Yam, O. Yaron (Weizmann Institute for Science).
on 3 Apr 2013; 15:44 UT
Distributed as an Instant Email Notice Supernovae
Credential Certification: N. Elias-Rosa (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Subjects: Optical, Supernovae
Referred to by ATel #: 4948
PESSTO, the Public ESO Spectroscopic Survey for Transient Objects (see Valenti et al., ATel #4037; http://www.pessto.org ),
reports the following supernova classifications. Targets were supplied by the La Silla-Quest survey (see Hadjiyska et al.,
ATel #3812), the Catalina Real-time Transient Survey (http://crts.caltech.edu/) and the TOCP page. All observations were performed
on the ESO New Technology Telescope at La Silla on 2013 April 02, using EFOSC2 and Grism 13 (3985-9315A, 18A resolution).
Classifications were done with SNID (Blondin & Tonry, 2007, ApJ, 666, 1024) and GELATO (Harutyunyan et al., 2008,
A&A, 488, 383). Classification spectra can be obtained from http://www.pessto.org (via WISeREP).
Name | RA (J2000) | Dec (J2000) | Disc. Date | Disc. Source | Disc Mag | z | Type | Phase | Notes
PSN J08175346+2328105 | 08 17 53.46 | +23 28 10.4 | 20130325 | TOCP | 15.4 | 0.014 | Ia | around max | (1)
SSS130329:111742-203116 | 11 17 42.08 | -20 31 16.4 | 20130329 | CRTS | 16.2 | - | stellar | - | -
CSS130401:125031+090817 | 12 50 31.40 | +09 08 16.9 | 20130401 | CRTS | 19.3 | 0.084 | Ia | around max | (2)
SNhunt178 | 13 10 21.31 | -07 10 24.0 | 20130331 | CRTS | 17.6 | 0.022 | Ia-91bg-like | around max | (3)
LSQ13sj | 13 18 17.76 | -02 51 42.9 | 20130401 | LSQ | 19.6 | 0.085 | CC-SN? | ~4d | (4)
LSQ13rd | 15 56 38.53 | +00 21 09.6 | 20130326 | LSQ | 19.3 | 0.032 | II | ~+3d | (5)
(1) http://www.cbat.eps.harvard.edu/unconf/tocp.html. Good match with several normal type Ia SNe around maximum light.
(2) Good match with several normal type Ia SNe just a few days after maximum light.
(3) Good match with sn1991bg and other type Ia-91bg-like SNe around maximum light. The spectrum shows strong Ti lines between 4100 and 4400 A.
(4) The spectrum shows a blue continuum without any resolved features. This could be a young core-collapse SN 4 days old considering the last non detection was March 30th 2013.
(5) Good match with several type IIP SNe just a few days after maximum light.